How do I get permission to use a copyright-protected work?

Requests for permission to use copyright-protected works should be sent directly to the copyright owners. This is often done via email or online forms on copyright owners' websites. Please note that authors are not always the copyright owners of their published works as authors will often transfer economic rights to publishers who will commercially reproduce and distribute authors' works. Only copyright owners can grant permission to use copyright-protected works. 

The Copyright Advisory Office offers a permissions and clearance service to faculty for teaching materials like print handouts, scanned copies of print materials, and content from online sources. 

Please contact the Copyright Advisory Office for assistance with locating copyright owners, submitting permission requests, and licensing copyright-protected works:

Related FAQs

    Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)


    chat loading...

    All Topics